Adding in comment, further to yesterday’s Thought For The Day about bottoms: euphemism of the day!
“It’s all relative” = “wrong / false / untrue”
EXPANSION WITH POSSIBLE RATIONALE:
- innocence and ignorance: the speaker genuinely pseudo-thinks (or, “believes”) that everything really is relative and that there are no such things as rights or wrongs
- speaker is too dense to understand such differences, and does not hear and understand when they are explained (using their own utterances as examples). They may or not also be blind, deaf, and generally insensitive: to what others say, to being in a conversation, to any learning experience and experience of change (which all communication is, or should be).
- the speaker cannot possible be wrong, as they are the only right entity in the universe, and otherwise the universe would implode, explode, or otherwise cease to exist. This may also be called the superstitious approach: not wishing to jinx the continuing existence of the universe (and oneself).
- spoiled pampered princess: cannot possibly be wrong, stupid, or foolish because centre of universe (see previous item). Alternative explanation: speaker has been told all their life that they’re a treasure and treasured, a special unique precious brilliant snowflake, and all their faults and flaws have been translated into positive attributes. Everything they say is right, true, and a gift to the rest of humanity: pearls dropping from their lips (and no jokes about alleged extra qualities of Demi Moore’s alleged latest squeeze). This is of course a fascinating kind of illusion and a psychological gem in its own right. But such people are not diamonds. They are delusional, and may even be dangerous.
- passive-aggressive self-defence: speaker knows what they said is in fact wrong, but they have not yet learned the crucial distinction between “what one says” and “oneself”, so they err in the view that they cannot say anything wrong as otherwise they would be wrong.
In many countries, this issue is addressed in kindergarten and is one of the items on the checklist for permitting a child to pass the last year of kindergarten and progress to Primary One.
In many countries (with some intersection with the previous category), there is also a deliberate re-blurring of the categories, accompanied by infantilization and regression and encouragement of monstrous egotism, in postgraduate study. Especially, irony of ironies, in the “humanities.” Blame Derrida and the religious cult constructed around him. OK, not just him: blame the place of theory in that end of academia.
OK. On which happy note of blaming Derrida (and his mis-translators, and idiot Dummy’s Guide / Spark Notes pseudo-digested versions, and second-hand drivvel based on sketchy skim-mis-reading, and the vagaries of foolish fashion)—on wards and upwards, to a quite delicious recent bout of MUAing. Putting the phenomenon that follows below in its historical context, this might be this year’s incarnation of The Spring Troll. It might, being flat-footed and practical, just / also be a foolish young creature. Hell, the web’s full of them these days, and they get younger and younger every year. But at least it’s always nice to see young people able to read and write. After a fashion…
Monster ego? Ego, The Monster? Trolling? A troll? Another misunderstanding (see yesterday’s post on these)? Just someone young and foolish? Looking for knowledge, wanting to learn, or not? Who knows. In case it’s the positives there (or the positives on balance): benefit of the doubt and generosity of spirit. We’ve all been silly young things once, haven’t we?
If you can’t remember being young and/or silly and/or foolish and/or a fool, then you’re blocking the memory or kidding yourself (hah! kid? see? youthfulness always prevails, one way or another!). Re-read POSSIBLE RATIONALE above and check you’re not falling into any of its rough-and-ready categories.
Folly be praised!
Some follow-up bandwagon-jumping:
and some totally unnecessary but well-meaning editing (((hugs nice people))):
and some rather more useful editing (thanks be to Mods) and commenting (feat. desperate attempt to stay on topic, that is, the topic of skin and its care):
Another new MUAer too, “astrocatz” (see late appearance in last item), who might or might not be a troll, a sock-puppet, or who knows, a cute little troll puppet? or a troll who lives in socks, snuggled burrowing between your toes?