The original piece:
- Buitrago-Lopez A, Sanderson J, Johnson L et al. “Chocolate consumption and cardiometabolic disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis.” BMJ 2011-08-29
Plenty praise and rehashed press releases. Some carefully selected critiques:
- Why misunderstanding the term ‘risk’ can be a problem – The Boston Globe.
- NHS News: Does chocolate protect the heart? (2011-08-30)
- Gary Schwitzer’s HealthNewsReview Blog: Unwrapping today’s chocolate story: troublesome BMJ news release (2011-08-29)
- (the same) The BMJ news release that keeps on giving the gift of chocolate hype (2011-08-31)
I shall be expecting Ben Goldacre to be keeping an eye on this… and meanwhile, I’ll be keeping an eye on this, and similar, and more of that ilk: