Because you’re worth it–whether you’re a pale redhead or not. Foundation that is the same colour as the skin underneath it: just smoothed out, like physical photoshop. It’s not much to ask, in 2011, is it?
Apparently it is, judging by the number of makeup manufacturers who sell only a few shades. No tones. Just around about the middle of the spectrum. Few textures.
I have not bought makeup from companies that don’t cover the whole human spectrum, in years. It didn’t start out a deliberate act of boycotting and rebellion. It’s just that I’m not going to buy something that’s the wrong colour for me, and I don’t see the point of buying something that I know isn’t right and that I’m not going to wear. That would be (a) pointless, (b) stupid, (c) a waste of money. But I’ve gradually moved away from buying much makeup anyway, and what makeup I buy tends to be from companies that do support equal rights to makeup (ex. Lipstick Queen, Silk Naturals, Bobbi Brown).
On mascara, I admit, I am still a whore: I will get it from anyone, no matter what they do with other makeup (so long as they’re cruelty-free). I’m faithless and promiscuous. I fall in lust at the drop of a hat, several times a day. I would sell my soul for the perfect mascara. Though that might not be any fun anymore–but maybe that’s what Hell is: a life without point, purpose, possibility, change,…
But I digress. Here’s some resources on foundation:
- ***Temptalia’s Foundation Matrix: the bees’ knees.
- another foundation spreadsheet
- ***KarlaSugar: swatches–search by brand–one of the best and most comprehensive online resources on foundation
- The Imaginarium of Makeup: great for photos of swatches, especially this page– foundation swatches/oxidation rate
- There was another chart on Makeup Talk–can’t find it now; I’m guessing it’s gone the way of many charts, and been/is being transformed from a spreadsheet to a database.
- Chiaxx: The Foundation Page. “Check colour” is a database of colour-charts, by brand and product (currently from Almay Amazing Lasting Makeup to YSL Tinted Matte Moisturizer).
- COSMETICS on Gingerrama’s Green-ish Lists: brands that cater to a wider range of carnations, but with a slant towards the PPP
- MUAer Lizzy28’s list of PPP-fitting foundations
- Reesemortensen’s list (PPP again–in conjunction with Lizzy28)
Image at top: Slices of Life