Some stuff I bookmarked for this blog–in no particular order:
- Jezebel: Worth It: A Master Technique for Curly Hair (I’m not convinced: see the much more useful YouTube clip on plopping)
- The same: Worth It: Affordable, Natural-Looking Lip Stain
- Encyclopedia Dramatica: “In Lulz We Trust”
- The Skeptic’s Dictionary: detoxification therapies
- The Skin Cancer Foundation – If Recent Attacks on Sunscreen Concern You. . . | Sunscreen
- Sunscreen Series Wrap-Up: What About Retinyl Palmitate? – Health Blog – WSJ
- JAAD: Retinyl Palmitate in Sunscreen Does Not Cause Cancer – HAPPI
- Slop on sunscreen, tips, choosing using sunscreen, sun protection – SunSmart
- An AMAZEBALLS SkinCareTalk thread: Zinc Oxide.Physical Sunscreen List: running for five months and counting.
- Osamu Handaa, Satoshi Kokuraa, Satoko Adachib, Tomohisa Takagia, Yuji Naitoc, Toru Tanigawae, Norimasa Yoshidad, Toshikazu Yoshikawab. “Methylparaben potentiates UV-induced damage of skin keratinocytes.” Toxicology 227: 1-2 (3 October 2006): 62-72
- The Beauty Brains: Does Sunscreen SPF Help Hair?
- MUA SCB thread, “I met a derm who does not believe in SS. He thinks it’s BS marketing ploy and that it doesn’t do anything for the skin. He laughed at me when I said I’m a long time ss wearer (since I was a baby). The irony is that he is a skin cancer surgeon and doesn’t recommend SS use to his patients.“
Old news now, had this item stashed away when it first came up at the end of August:
- King’s College London, press release: “Coral could be used to create sunscreens“
Also, less directly:
- BBC News – Coral could hold key to sunscreen pill
- The Daily Mail: Coral sunscreen pill: One tablet equals weeks of protection
- News.com.au: UK scientists using coral for ‘sunscreen pill’ that gives weeks of protection
- Sydney Morning Herald: Coral shows way to sunburn pill
- Science Daily: Topical coral could be used to create novel sunscreens for human use, say scientists
and less directly again:
and old when someone on MUA finally caught up (probably c/o the Daily Fail, one of the myriad who copy-pasted the release… ):
And back to an earlier thing from the summer, when the EWG released their latest list of Approved Sunscreens and the FDA announced they’d start thinking about thinking about thinking about sunscreens:
- The LA Times: FDA’s sunscreen labeling: FDA issues new rules for sunscreen labeling (see? places to watch for sunscreen news: Australia and California. Surprisingly enough.)
- Press Announcements > FDA Announces Changes to Better Inform Consumers About Sunscreen
- Jezebel: When Will The FDA Seriously Regulate Cosmetics?
- The Beauty Brains: 10 Cosmetic Questions Everyone Should Be Able To Answer
- Jezebel: Watch Miss USA Hopefuls Awkwardly Dance Around The Evolution Issue
- Jezebel: You Can’t Shop Anywhere
- The Beauty Brains (nope, usually NOT with them on animal testing): 5 Ways To Reduce Animal Testing. This is basic–see much earlier post on here with links to EU information, directly.
- SeventyPercent.com: Ethical chocolate?
- Juliet Bennett’s Blog: Correction: Lindt DIDN’T lie. We can eat lindt chocolate in peace!
- (really, I have left things lying around in the dust for too long…) 9 May 2011 – Cocoa chemical could promote good gut health – Feature – BBSRC
- (cos I like to get that extra enjoyment out of things I enjoy anyway, same for the previous item) 6 January 2011 – Protective properties of green tea still present after digestion – Media release – BBSRC
- a favourite gorgeous ginger, as out and proud in gingerriciousness as she is in everything else: Miss Ginger Devine – Confessions of a Drag Queen